The Foundation of Young People Against Cancer Ecuador is a non-profit organization based in Quito-Ecuador. The Foundation’s mission is to help young people who suffer cancer to be able to access to important health programs, proper care and additional information, and activities that improve their lives and self-esteem while they are living with cancer.
Location: Quito – Ecuador
Date: May 4-8, 2012
Free registration is available at their website:
Information About the Conference
FORMS OF TREATMENT, THE GOVERNMENT SUPPORT, FAMILY, SOCIAL AND ATTITUDES ARE DIFFERENT IN EACH COUNTRY
In February 2010, the Youth People Foundation Against Cancer organized the 1st. International Meeting for Young People with
Cancer and Survivors, bringing together 112 soldiers from 12 countries and 3 continents. The foundation has become an important contribution to national and international community and visit different countries like Colombia, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Uruguay and Peru.
Develop a statement which young people with cancer of the World present their proposals to the treatments, priorities, rights
and public health policies.
SHARING STRATEGIES, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT EVERY ORGANIZATION IMPLEMENTED IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY FOR THE INTEGRAL DEVELOPMENT OF YOUTH PEOPLE IN TREATMENT.
- Men and Women
- Youth between 17 and 30 years of age diagnosed with cancer and survivors.
- The costs of accommodation, food and transportation in Ecuador will be covered for the Foundation.
- Requires pre-fill the registration form.
POLICY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS:
- It will be considerate the economic situation of the each young people. It will be a priority to young people from developing countries and the commitment to the sponsoring organization.
- Scholarships are limited to 25%, 50% and 75% of airline ticket
JUSTIFICATION OF THE CONVENTION
- The lack of infrastructure and information directed to young people with cancer which affects the knowledge and increasing abandonment of treatment.
- The discrimination which affects so many young people in various aspects such as: economic, social, medical and psychological, limiting a good quality of life.
- The lack of palliative care, debts and psychological support to caregivers are real concerns in advanced stages.
- The Self-esteem of young people tends to fall in response to side effects of treatments (hair loss, weakness, isolation, nausea, etc.)
- The economic dependence of young people, between 14 and 21 years of age, because normally they do not work and study and consequently do not have their own income.
- Amputations and transplants affect them physically, financially, emotionally and socially.
- The lack of psycho-oncologists, pediatric oncologists, surgeons and other specialists in the area of children and adolescents, is a vital necessity.
BENEFITS FOR YOUTH ATTENDING THE CONVENTION
- To develop leadership skills, encourage social networking among young participants.
- Create, share, tips, themes and projections to jointly tackle the disease as rituals for warriors, photography workshops, gladiators of hope, ambassadors of joy and other ongoing projects.
- Better manage the side effects of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, treatment and survival.
- Tend to make society aware of the problem of cancer in young people, respect and provide opportunities to study, work and develop normally.
- Encourage public authorities and institutions dedicated to youth to truly support projects for young people with cancer.
METHODOLOGY OF THE CONVENTION
- Young people will be organized in groups classified by diagnosis: Leukemia, ALL, AML, sarcoma, lymphoma, brain, osteosarcoma and other.
- Each group will issue a document with the main recommendations of their disease.
- There will be activities and workshops for groups and in general as dynamics, movies, forums, outings and lectures.
Together we fight oral cancer. Together we save a life every hour.